Introduce your friends and family to a healthy alternative to the traditional Thanksgiving side dishes! Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable, which means it is associated with cancer prevention and delivers a high dose of vitamin C for fighting those wintery colds. However, don’t completely eliminate potatoes! Potatoes are packed with potassium and fiber; roast them in the oven with other vegetables instead of the typical mashed style that requires loads of butter and salt.
Makes 2 cups per recipe
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons butter or substitute
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- Wash and cut the cauliflower.
- Steam it until all parts are tender. Drain.
- Add milk, butter, salt, and garlic and mash with an electric hand mixer, or for a very smooth consistency use a hand blender.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and garlic.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Serving size: About 1/2 cup
Calories: 149 Sodium: 170mg
Total fat: 5g Total carbohydrate: 8g
Saturated fat: 3g Dietary fiber: 4g
Trans fat: 0g Sugars: 4g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g Protein: 5g
Cholesterol : 31mg