TRAIN LIKE A PRO – video demo
Hockey season is upon us and our favorite NHL players gave us their personal favorite (no equipment needed) exercises! We developed a 3 part workout from their selections that incorporate power, functional/core strength, and flexibility. All necessary for hockey players but what about the rest of us?
- Metabolic Training:
Plyometrics help athletes increase power and speed. The tabata sets in this workout will maximize calorie burn and increase metabolic rate during and after the workout.
- Body Weight Strength:
The exercises chosen by our NHL players will improve functional strength and build lean muscle by recruiting multiple muscle groups at once with balance challenges and core stability.
Muscle tightness inhibits performance and can prevent proper muscle recruitment potentially leading to inefficient movement patterns and overuse injuries. To get the most from any workout, targeted stretching is essential.
- Begin with a dynamic warm up (see our demo)
- Set a timer for 20 secs work/10 secs rest and do the 4 exercises below, in order, 2 times through for a total of 4 mins.
- side to side squats
- squat broad jump
- jumping lunges
- speed skaters
- Rest for 1 min and do 12 reps each of the 4 strength exercises below with little rest in between. It should take about 4 mins to complete.
- walking lunge w/ twist
- push up to side plank
- single leg squats
- functional push ups
- Complete the core exercises and active stretches below. Repeat all 3 sets (metabolic, strength, flexibility) 2-4 times through, rest 1 min between sets.
- sit up w/ twist (12 reps)
- plank-pike-extension (2-4 reps)
- low lunge to hamstring stretch (2-4 reps)
- straddle stretch w/ twist (2-4 reps)
HUGE thanks to the players – David Backes, Chris Pronger, Carlo Colaiacovo, Alex Pietrangelo and Jamal Mayers for the exercises. And thanks to Lauren Pronger and Natalie Mayers for expertly demonstrating the moves!
Eat to compete! Don’t forget to check out our nutrition tips this month: