Calories are Energy
- There is more to food than calories: Taste, texture, color, family time, & enjoyment.
- There are no “good foods” or “bad foods”
- Everything is healthy in moderation
- Indulgences are part of healthy eating.
- Eating a variety of different foods will provide a balance of all nutrients
- Be mindful of what you eat but also be open to enjoy the foods you love
- You are more than just a number!
Weight is just a number
- Weight is only one part of a variety of different health assessments
- A better picture of your health status would include measures of strength, body composition, cholesterol, blood glucose & blood pressure
- Weight is a number that cannot define how healthy you are nor define your worth
- You are more than a number!
Why diets don’t work
- Diets don’t teach you how to make healthy food choices a part of your permanent lifestyle
- Diets are temporary so even if you lose weight initially you are very likely to regain the weight… and then some
- Diets are very restrictive & you shouldn’t have to miss out on the things you love
- Fad diets can be harmful to your body and lead to obsessive behaviors in regards to food and fitness
Every BODY is different
- Your body shape & size are impacted by a variety of factors including genetics, cultural influences, and the environment
- Your ideal weight is the one that allows you to feel strong, energetic, and view food as fuel
- Resist the pressure to judge yourself or anyone else based on weight or size