To get the most out of your nutrition, choose foods packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. If you don’t like a lot of different fruits and veggies, just focus on the ones you do like. And, don’t worry, our tastes changes all the time. Keep trying new foods.
10 ways to get more fruits and veggies:
1. Make your own pizza with veggies (like mushrooms, peppers, spinach, broccoli) or fruits like pineapple as toppings.
2. Mix up a smoothie with your favorite fruits and even some greens with Greek yogurt.
3. Puree berries, peaches, apples or pears for a thick sauce to top on poultry or fish. Even tasty on pancakes and French toast.
4. Add dried or fresh fruit to oatmeal.
5. Have a tomato or vegetable soup as a snack.
6. Include shredded or grated vegetables (broccoli slaw, carrots, zucchini) or beans, etc in all your pastas/pasta sauces, stir fries, soups, lasagna, meatloaf and casseroles
7. Take a family outing to the grocery store or during the spring/summer/fall the farmer’s market and pick out 1 new fruit or vegetable for the family to try each week.
8. Add your favorite veggies to a wrap or sandwich.
9. Add your favorite fruits to your salad, berries, sliced apples.
10. Have raw veggies or fruits with your favorite dip. (ranch dip made out of Greek yogurt, hummus, salsa)
Ideally fill your plate with half fruits and veggies, ¼ protein and ¼ whole grain or starch.