February is the month when New Year’s resolutions start to subside and most people will return to their normal habits. If this describes you, here is a new goal to think about: keep your metabolism high throughout the day by unlocking the energy from food! Our bodies break down carbohydrate, protein, and fat to give us energy. Eat these natural foods to optimize your daily energy:
- Fruit such as apples, oranges, bananas, or berries – pick your favorite!
- Protein: getting adequate protein at meals AND snacks keeps metabolism high
- Lean meats like chicken and turkey
- Granola bars with at least 10 g of protein
- Smoothies with milk, fruit, yogurt, or vegetable combinations
- Low-fat dairy: milk, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese are great options
- Avocado: a healthy source of fat loaded with nutrients
- Legumes like beans, chickpeas, and lentils
If you need a little extra energy kick, here are some other options to help boost your metabolism:
- Add spices like chili peppers, basil, cinnamon, rosemary, turmeric to foods
- Water: dehydration leads to fatigue – shoot for AT LEAST 8 cups per day!
- Tea: green or oolong teas can increase metabolism
- Coffee: a great source of caffeine, but always in moderation
Try these options instead of reaching for the Red Bull, Monster, or other energy drinks – they are high in added sugars, calories, and unknown ingredients that could be harmful or banned! And remember, the keys to keeping your energy and metabolism high are eating frequently throughout the day, avoid overeating at meals, and eating whole, natural foods.