6 5-ounce tilapia filets or other firm white fish* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 limes, divided 1/4 cup olive oil 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut in ¼-in strips 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, cut in ¼-inch strips 1 jalapeno pepper, cut in thin strips 1 small onion, thinly sliced 2 cloves garlic, chopped 6 8-inch whole wheat tortillas 6 tablespoons coarsely-chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Place tilapia in a medium bowl. Toss with cumin, salt and juice of 1 lime. Set aside while preparing other ingredients.
- Heat olive oil to medium-high in a large nonstick skillet. Add red and yellow peppers, jalapeno, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir for about 1 minute, until peppers and onion are slightly softened.
- Add tilapia and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until white and opaque. Fish will flake easily and may break apart.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Divide tilapia-peppers mixture and cilantro evenly over tortillas. Roll to shape the taco. To serve, garnish each taco with a wedge of the remaining lime.
* As another option, substitute shrimp for finfish.
Calories: 380 Calories from fat: 130; Total fat: 15g; Saturated fat: 2.5g; Trans fat: 0g Cholesterol: 70mg; Sodium 310mg Total carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary fiber: 4g; Sugars: 3g Protein 33g
Recipe by Roberta L. Duyff, MS, RD, FADA, CFCS