With the weather getting warmer, more often than not the patio grills are getting fired up once again. BBQs are a fun part of summer months to enjoy time with friends and family, especially with a few tips to keep your diet in check.
Fewer fatty foods.
- Pick out lean cuts of meat (sirloins, rounds, fish, chicken)
- Use avocado, olives, or oils versus creamy Mayo & Ranch
Remember that sides add up!
- Look for fruit and veggie trays
- Try salsas and bean dips vs ranch and mayo
- Everything in moderation! Watch your portion size.
Spot the sodium.
- Make your own marinades, BBQ sauce and salsas
- Dip grilled vegetables into your marinade
Substitute whole grains.
- Swap hot dog rolls, burger buns, pasta, and rice for choices higher in fiber
- Keep you full faster, longer, and aid in digestion
Make dessert guiltless.
- Try fresh fruits with yogurt or whipped topping
- Puddings with berries/bananas
- Enjoy unfamiliar items in small portions