1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup non-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
raisins or nuts (optional)
- Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix.
- In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired. Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan, cool and enjoy. These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
Number of Servings: 12
Nutritional Info Per Serving:Calories: 93.5, Total Fat: 0.5 g, Cholesterol: 0.4 mg, Sodium: 196.2 mg , Total Carbs: 20.5 g , Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g, Protein: 2.9 g