½ cup raw walnut halves
½ cup roasted sunflower seed kernels
½ cup raisins or other dried fruit
2 cups uncooked oatmeal, old-fashioned or instant
2 cups toasted rice cereal such as Rice Krispies
½ cup natural nut or sunflower butter, crunchy or creamy
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup light corn syrup
Optional: ½ cup toasted wheat germ
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanuts, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, raisins, and toasted rice cereal (and wheat germ). Set aside.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the peanut butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients; stir until coated.
- For squares, spoon the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch pan coated with cooking spray; for bars, spoon it into a 9 x 13-inch pan. Press down firmly. (It helps to coat your fingers with oil or cooking spray.
- Let stand for about an hour; then cut into squares or bars.
Yield: 16 squares. Nutrient Analysis: 225 calories per serving; 30 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 9 g fat