Not only is this cake absolutely delicious, it’s very low in fat and calories because it’s made with no added butter or oil! Serve with low-fat cream cheese frosting for a deliciously deceptive holiday dessert!
Yields: About 16 cake bars
For the cake:
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Cooking spray
For the frosting:
- 5 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped
To make the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch glass cake plate with cooking spray.
2. Mix pumpkin, yogurt, vanilla, egg whites and sugar well in a large mixing bowl. Once combined, add in baking soda, baking powder, flour, salt and pumpkin pie spice until fully mixed.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cake comes out dry when inserted with a toothpick.
To make the frosting: Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together. Once cake has cooled, frost and garnish with toasted almonds.