1. Taco Soup
1 pound ground turkey or chicken breast
1 tsp canola oil
1 quart low sodium chicken broth
1 low sodium taco seasoning packet
1 can no salt added tomato sauce
1 can no salt added black beans and white kidney beans rinsed and drained
1 can chili spiced beans
1 bag frozen roasted corn
1 can diced green chilies
In stock pot, add 1tsp oil and brown meat. Once meat is browned add taco seasoning, chicken broth, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and green chilies. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve with shredded cheese and avocado.
Nutrition Calories 264, Protein 27.8, Carbohydrate 34.4, Fat 2.8
2. Taco Lasagna
8” whole wheat tortillas
1 pound ground turkey or chicken breast
1 medium onion chopped
1 can black beans, no salt added, drained
1 can no salt added corn (or ½ bag frozen corn)
1 packet low sodium taco seasoning (or make your own with cumin, paprika, and cayenne)
8oz package shredded cheddar/Monterey jack cheese
12oz bottle salsa or taco sauce
1 bag of fresh baby Spinach
1 tomato, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
Pre-heat oven to 350. Brown turkey or chicken breast with onion. Then add beans, corn and taco seasoning. Mix all together. Add 1/2c salsa.
Grease 9×13” casserole dish with cooking spray. Drizzle salsa on bottom of pan. Layer with tortilla (1.5) then meat mixture, spinach, cheese and salsa. Repeat layer with tortilla, meat mixture, spinach cheese and salsa. One more layer of tortilla, then finish with meat mixture, cheese and drizzle rest of salsa. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes and avocado.
3. Orzo with Lemon Basil Chicken – Great dish cold or hot.
1.5 pounds Chicken breast, chopped
1T olive oil
1 package of orzo, prepared according to directions on package
1 package of sundried tomatoes
1 container of crumbled goat cheese
1 bag fresh spinach
3 lemons, fresh squeezed
½ bunch fresh basil
Lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
Brown chicken in 1T olive oil in stock pot. Remove chicken and set aside, bowl orzo to package directions. Drain and put back into pot. Add back chicken and the rest of the ingredients while warm: sundried tomatoes, goat cheese, spinach and basil. Mix together. Add oil, lemon salt and pepper to taste.
4. Slow cooker pulled pork
1 pound pork loin roast or pork shoulder
1T season salt
1T garlic powder
1T chili powder
1 small onion chopped
16oz barbeque sauce
1c low sodium chicken broth
Rub roast with the spice mixture (add more to taste preference or any spice seasoning combination)
Put 4oz barbeque sauce and chicken broth in crockpot. Add rubbed roast and pour rest of barbeque sauce. Top with fresh green beans and cook on low 10-12 hours.
Take out green beans and pull the pork with 2 forks on cutting board.
5. Slow cooker Chicken Tacos
Batch cooking! Cook once and eat twice (or more).
4 chicken breasts
16 oz. container salsa
1 packet taco season.
1. Place chicken in crockpot and top with salsa and taco seasoning. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours.
2. Shred cooked chicken up and enjoy.
*Can also add canned or frozen corn and beans. Just rinse the canned products before adding to the chicken.
Different ways to use the chicken taco meat:
-Healthy taco salad
……. or whatever else you can think of!
6. Stir Fry with Homemade Peanut sauce
1T peanut oil
1 pound chicken breasts, cubed
1 pound fully cooked, frozen shrimp, thawed
2c each: broccoli, snow peas, red bell pepper, shredded carrots, optional mushrooms (can you any veggies)
2 packages of 90 second microwave brown rice
1/2c low sodium, no salt added peanut butter
3/4c low sodium soy sauce
2 cloves of garlic
1/4c sriracha (hot sauce), chili sauce is an alternative
1T toasted sesame oil
Brown, cubed chicken in 1T peanut oil in wok or stock pot. You will need enough room to add all the rest of the ingredients.
In food processor or blender: combine all ingredients for the sauce.
Heat 90 second brown rice packets in the microwave according to instructions on the packet.
When chicken is browned add vegetables and rice. Lastly add shrimp and stir together. Now combine sauce into chicken, veggie rice mixture.
7. Salmon Baked in a Foil Parcel with Green Beans & Pesto
3 cups fresh green beans 1 lemon 2 (6 oz) wild salmon fillets, skin on 2 Tbsp pesto (I used homemade, but prepared is fine, too!) 2 tsp olive oil sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat your oven to 400. Rinse and trim beans. Halve both of the lemons.
Pull out a sheet of aluminum foil, about a yard long, and fold it in half to give two layers. Put a handful of green beans in the middle of the foil. Lay a salmon fillet, skin side down, across the beans and spoon over pesto. Drizzle each filet with 1 tsp olive oil. Squeeze over juice from one of the lemons, and season with salt and pepper. Pull the aluminum foil edges together and scrunch them up to seal the parcel. Repeat these steps to make the second parcel. Place both foil parcels on a sheet pan.
Put the baking sheet into your oven and cook for 15-17 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it stand for a minute before carefully unwrapping it. Either serve the parcels on plates as they are or carefully unwrap them before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Information(per serving): 431 calories; 24 g. fat; 108 mg. cholesterol; 410 mg. sodium; 8.5 g. carbohydrate; 4 g. fiber; 38.5 g. protein
½ cup nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
½ cup frozen strawberries
1 small banana
1 Tbsp peanut butter
½ cup skim or 1% milk
Optional: add spinach
Put all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth.
Makes 1 serving
Nutritional Information per Serving
9. Slow cooker Steel cut, apple-cinnamon oatmeal
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, chopped (2 ½ -3 c chopped)
- 1 ½ c fat free milk
- 1 ½ c water
- 1 c uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 T brown sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 ½ T butter (cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 T ground flax seed
- ¼ t salt
- Optional garnishes: nuts, seeds, dried fruit
Directions Coat inside of 3 ½ quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approximately 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add additional toppings if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freezes well. Suggestion to freeze in individual portions. To reheat single servings: put 1 cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bow. Add 1/3 c fat free milk. Microwave on high 1 minute, stir. Continue cooking additional 1 minute or until hot. Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart and increase cooking time by 1 hour.Nutrition facts: 3/4c: 149 calories, 3.6g fat, 27.3g carb, 3.9g fiber, 4.9g protein.
10. Zucchini (or any vegetable) Frittata
- 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup basil
- 8 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Using a oven safe medium saute pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the crushed garlic and allow to cook for 30 seconds. Remove the garlic and tear some basil into the pan and add all of the zucchini. Stir and cook the zucchini until it is tender, but has not cooked through, roughly 2 minutes.
- Blend eggs in a blender or beat well using a beater, with the milk. Season with salt and pepper. Blend on the highest speed to incorporate a lot of air in the eggs.
- Pour the eggs into the saute pan and let it sit for 1 minute. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top of the eggs and place into the oven. Cook until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Invert a plate on top of the pan and turn over. Lift it slightly with a silicone spatula and then slide it right out of the pan. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature